A054 HD Committee #13 Report #08
House of Deputies Committee 13 - Committees & Commissions presents its Report #08 on Resolution A054 (Create a Task Force on Senior Wellness and Positive Aging) and moves:
Take No Further Action
Resolved, the House of Bishops concurring,
That the 80th General Convention authorize the creation of a Task Force on Senior Wellness and Positive Aging, among its goals to:
- Identify the major challenges to positive aging;
- Communicate with congregations, dioceses, and provinces to collect information about their approaches to these challenges;
- Explore networks in which the Task Force can be a meaningful partner;
- Coordinate with the Presiding Bishop’s staff to ascertain facets of their ministries in which the Task Force might have a useful role to play;
- Review existing General Convention policy on aging and senior wellness to identify gaps and opportunities, and consult with the Office of Government Relations to identify areas where political advocacy could be useful. Consider developing resolutions for Executive Council and General Convention that identify advocacy priorities for positive aging and senior wellness.
- Initiate conversation with leading non-profit senior care providers and advocates, particularly those affiliated with The Episcopal Church;
And be it further
Resolved, That the Task Force will produce a resource of best practices for congregations, dioceses and provinces to support their ministries to persons in the second half of life as they strive to participate meaningfully and creatively in life-long learning and to engage constructively in the communities in which they live; and be it further
Resolved, That this Task Force will report annually to The Executive Council and to the 81st General Convention; and be it further
Resolved, That this task force be appointed jointly by the Presiding Officers, with between 10 and 14 members, two to four of whom shall be bishops, two to four of whom shall be clergy, and not more than six lay persons, with the members having some professional, pastoral or medical background in senior care and wellness; and be it further
Resolved, That the General Convention request that the Joint Standing Committee on Program, Budget and Finance consider a budget allocation of $30,000 for the implementation of this resolution.