A016 Adopt, Study, and Promote Guiding Principles for World Mission & Initiate Global Mission Advocate Program
Resolved, the House of Deputies concurring,
That the 80th General Convention adopt the following Guiding Principles as a foundation upon which it engages in mission:
- Think and imagine a world where love is the way
- Commit to world mission that is incarnated in personal presence, meeting Christ in all whom we encounter, in our backyard or around the globe
- Go the Way of Love: cross boundaries, listen deeply, and live like Jesus
- Walk the Way of Love with our companions in mission, in mutual discovery and deepening of God’s reconciling love, learning together, praying together, worshipping together, as we transform and bless each other
- Excite, inspire, and engage others to discover the joy of God’s mission
- Honor and embrace in mutual discovery the God-given gifts of all individuals, parishes, dioceses, their partners, and their communities
- Nurture relationships to develop avenues for cross-cultural mission, local/global/pilgrimage, for all ages and abilities
- Advocate for structural changes to support global mission issues, including promoting the dignity of all and honoring refugees, migrants, and asylum seekers everywhere
- Honor our sacred differences while we unite as Beloved Community around God’s table
- Support missionaries, from discernment, during their service, and upon their return
- As we walk this Way of Love, address together the many issues of poverty, violence, oppression, and environmental degradation
- Remember that to “Go” can also mean “Go” by building relationships, learning, listening, encouraging across space through virtual presence and communication from where you are
- Encourage all dioceses to have a Diocesan Global Mission Advocate
and be it further
Resolved, That the General Convention commend these Guiding Principles to Episcopal seminaries, diocesan schools of ministry, dioceses and jurisdictions, and congregations for study and implementation and that they be encouraged to study and promote the Guiding Principles; and be it further
Resolved, That the General Convention encourage each diocese, jurisdiction, Episcopal seminary, and diocesan school of ministry to appoint at least one person to serve as a Global Mission Advocate to promote the study and use of the Guiding Principles and share with the Church promising global mission practices developed as these guiding principles are implemented alongside other models of ministry such as Asset-Based Community Development and the Sustainable Development Goals; and be it further
Resolved, That the Standing Commission on World Mission and the Office of Global Partnerships collaborate during the triennium with the Global Episcopal Mission Network to create a Network of Global Mission Advocates to share their experiences with the implementation, study, and promotion of the Guiding Principles. This Network shall provide guidance to the Standing Commission on World Mission on the practical application of the Guiding Principles and suggest amendments.
The nature and understanding of mission continuously evolve. As we strive to be a Beloved Community, the Standing Commission on World Mission presents these Guiding Principles for World Mission to frame the work of and offer a direction for global mission for The Episcopal Church and its mission around the world, to walk the Way of Love in a global context. Expanding on the work of Companions in Transformation presented by the SCWM to the General Convention in 2003 (2003-A150), the current Commission sought input from numerous people active in world mission – inter alia missionaries, academics, the Office of Global Partnerships, the Global Episcopal Mission Network (GEMN) – in developing these Guiding Principles.
It is recommended that these Guiding Principles be used along with the Global Mission Toolkit, which is being developed by SCWM with GEMN and the Office of Global Partnerships to guide worship, discussion and engagement in world-wide mission.