Resolved, That the 79th General Convention join the 2012 Anglican Consultative Council in adopting the following "Charter for Safety of People Within the Churches of the Anglican Communion" noting that it summarizes The Episcopal Church's policy regarding maintaining the safety of all who come to or work for our churches:
1. Pastoral support where there is abuse — We will provide pastoral support for the abused, their families, and affected parishes and church organizations by listening with patience and compassion to their experiences and concerns; offering spiritual assistance and other forms of pastoral care.
2. Effective responses to abuse — We will have and implement policies and procedures to respond properly to allegations of abuse against clergy and other church personnel that include: making known within churches the procedure for making complaints; arranging pastoral care for any person making a complaint of abuse; the impartial determination of allegations of abuse against clergy and other church personnel, and assessment of their suitability for future ministry; providing support for affected parishes and church organizations.
3. Practice of pastoral ministry — We will adopt and promote, through education and training, standards for the practice of pastoral ministry by clergy and other church personnel.
4. Suitability for ministry — We will have and implement policies and procedures to assess the suitability of persons for ordination as clergy or appointment to positions of responsibility in the church, including checking their background.
5. Culture of safety — We will promote a culture of safety in parishes and church organizations by education and training to help clergy, other church personnel, and participants prevent the occurrence of abuse."
View Original Version