Resolved, That a Task Force to assist the Office of Pastoral Development be appointed for an initial period of three years commencing at the adjournment of the 79th General Convention; and be it further
Resolved, That the Task Force be composed of up to twelve persons appointed jointly by the Presiding Bishop and President of the House of Deputies in consultation with the Bishop for Pastoral Development. Membership of the Task Force will represent the diversity of all the baptized within the Church and will consider particular gifts and experiences that will be beneficial to the work of the Task Force; and be it further
Resolved, That the Task Force will concentrate its work on assisting the Office of Pastoral Development in:
- revising existing resources and creating new resources to assist dioceses in the discernment, nomination, search, election, and transition processes for episcopal transitions;
- making available through open-source and digital networks, the variety of materials for use by individuals, dioceses, and consultants in the discernment, nomination, search, election and transition processes for episcopal elections;
- establishing a process and developing resources by which individuals may seek support in discerning a possible call to the episcopate;
- gathering and analyzing data regarding diversity in episcopal transitions, developing processes and resources to encourage diversity in the episcopate;
- recruiting, training and evaluating Transition Consultants and missional review consultants;
- encouraging electing dioceses to contract for the services of a Transition Consultant throughout the episcopal search and election process;
- formalizing and expanding recruitment and training for Transition Consultants;
- standardizing and monitoring the contracts used by Transition Consultants with electing dioceses;
- establishing a process to review the performance of each Transition Consultant, including the use of individual performance records for each Transition Consultant and to provide for their collection and analysis.
- establishing a process for electing dioceses to provide individual performance evaluations based upon objective standards for the Transition Consultant(s) who served the electing diocese from which the work of each Transition Consultant can be evaluated.
- providing ways in which one or more Transition Consultants can participate in the maintenance of the Raising Up of Episcopal Leadership - A Manual for Dioceses in Transition and evaluation of the effectiveness of the episcopal election process.
- enhancing guidelines for reference, background, medical, and psychological screening of persons considered for nomination for episcopal elections and guidelines for the dissemination, evaluation, and record keeping of the screening information gathered; and be it further
Resolved, That the Bishop for Pastoral Development report semi-annually to the Executive Council and to the next General Convention; and be it further
Resolved, That the amount of $250,000 be appropriated for the organization and initial resources of the Task Force, to include two meetings per year.
View Original Version