Resolved, the House of _______ concurring,That the 79th General Convention affirm the following guiding principles for the inclusion of transgender people and urge that the Dioceses of the Episcopal Church prayerfully consider adopting and implementing the following guiding principles for the inclusion of transgender people in their parishes, missions, schools and camps:
Guiding Principles for the Inclusion of Transgender People in Dioceses, Parishes, Missions, Schools and Camps:
We believe that all people are created in the image of God and that all people are beloved children of God. Because this is true,
- We will protect the rights and respect the dignity of transgender persons, refusing to reject, judge, abuse, belittle or in any way dehumanize them.
- We will engage the complex realities for transgender persons in our churches, schools, and camps, and not yield to the temptation to ignore those realities.
- We will recognize and accept our responsibility to protect the privacy of transgender persons.
- We will make decisions about transgender minors in our schools and camps in communication with their parents.
- We will provide a safe environment for transgender persons, for those who support them, and for those who do not understand our commitment to these principles.
- We will stay flexible in response to the complex and changing ramifications of this work by being open to relevant stories, to emerging information, and to the movement of the Holy Spirit.
The resolution was adopted by the Diocese of Virginia and is endorsed by the Synod of Province III.
View Current Version