Resolved,That the 79th General Convention affirm the following guiding principles for the inclusion of transgender and non-binary people and urge that the Dioceses of the Episcopal Church prayerfully consider adopting and implementing the following guiding principles for the inclusion of transgender and non-binary people in their parishes, missions, schools and camps:
Guiding Principles for the Inclusion of Transgender and Non-Binary People in Dioceses, Parishes, Missions, Schools and Camps:
We believe that all people are created in the image of God and that all people are beloved children of God. Because this is true,
- We will protect the rights and respect the dignity of transgender and non-binary persons, refusing to reject, judge, abuse, belittle or in any way dehumanize them.
- We will engage the complex realities for transgender and non-binary persons in our churches, schools, and camps, and not yield to the temptation to ignore those realities.
- We will recognize and accept our responsibility to protect the privacy of transgender and non-binary persons.
- We will make decisions about how to support transgender and non-binary minors in our schools and camps in sensitive and appropriate communication with their parents.
- We will provide a safe environment for transgender and non-binary persons, for those who support them, and for those who do not understand our commitment to these principles.
- We will stay flexible in response to the complex and changing ramifications of this work by being open to relevant stories, to emerging information, and to the movement of the Holy Spirit.
And be it further
Resolved, that materials to help promote the Guiding Principles of this resolution be developed and curated by the Office of Formation through partnerships with organizations such as Integrity and TransEpiscopal.
View Original Version