Resolved, the House of __________ concurring, That the 79th General Convention of The Episcopal Church does agree and covenant with La Iglesia Episcopal de Cuba Diócesis Anglicana, and does commit itself to this covenant for the planning of admitting it into union with the General Convention of The Episcopal Church as a Diocese, as follows:
Preamble: At the meeting of its Synod in February 2015, La Iglesia Episcopal de Cuba Diócesis Anglicana (IEC) authorized, and in the subsequent Synod ratified, a formal Declaration "to start a process that would make the Cuban Diocese an integral part of the Episcopal Church [TEC]". The parties to this Covenant acknowledge that additional work is needed to prepare both TEC and IEC for IEC to be admitted as a Diocese in union with General Convention. The parties therefore covenant as follows:
1. That IEC confirms its intention to become a full member Diocese of TEC in union with the General Convention.
2. That there will be established a Joint Committee of Consultation to be made up of members of IEC to be designated by IEC and members of TEC to be designated by TEC. The Committee's tasks will be to plan, consult, cooperate, and offer advice as to the actions to be taken both before the General Convention of TEC can admit IEC as a Diocese and after such admission becomes effective.
3. That immediately upon this Covenant coming into force, clergy and employees of congregations in IEC shall become eligible to participate going forward in the International Clergy Pension Plan or a related plan to be developed by the Church Pension Fund in consultation with TEC and IEC. The General Convention will request a budget allocation to continue current pension payments to existing retirees. TEC and IEC will cooperate in developing a plan to fund retroactive unpaid pension premiums to the extent feasible.
4. That IEC may seek and TEC will encourage the development of Companion Diocese relationships between IEC and Dioceses of TEC.
5. That TEC will provide block-grant funding to IEC to support its mission, in an amount no less than $300,000 per triennium while this Covenant is in force.
6. That all Bishops of IEC shall be invited to be collegial members of the House of Bishops of TEC.
7. That this Covenant will become effective upon approval by both the Synod of IEC and the General Convention of TEC. It will be stated in both the English and Spanish languages, but in the case of any difference in interpretation the English version shall control.
8. That this Covenant shall be subject to review not less than once every three years to enable changes and modifications as may become necessary, and will continue in force until agreement by both parties to terminate.
And be it further
Resolved, That in accordance with the terms of item 8 of the Covenant, the Executive Council be authorized to act on behalf of TEC; and be it further
Resolved, That the review in item 8 of the Covenant shall include any reports and recommendations by the members of the Joint Committee of Consultation referred to in item 2 of the Covenant; and be it further
Resolved, That the members of the Joint Committee of Consultation representing TEC be appointed pursuant to the provisions of TEC Resolution 2012-A111; and be it further
Resolved, That because of the importance of the work of the Church in Cuba, Program, Budget and Finance be requested to consider budget allocations for the triennium 2019-2021 for the block grant for the Church in Cuba of $350,000 to cover the increased cost of clergy salaries and other missionary expenses and to cover the pension cost of retired clergy and clergy expected to retire during the triennium; and be it further
Resolved, That Program, Budget and Finance be requested to consider a budget allocation for the triennium 2019-2021 of $50,000 for continuing costs of consultation between the Executive Council and the Diocese of Cuba.
View Original Version